The Vermilion Public Library was established by the Frog Lake Chapter of IODE in 1931 with 113 books. In 1932 the IODE officially founded the Vermilion Public Library. A few years later principle funding of the library was taken on by the Town of Vermilion.
In 1981 the library moved into a new facility on 49 avenue that currently houses the library. In the 1990s the Vermilion Library become the first facility in town to offer broadband internet. In 1991 the library become a member of the Northern Lights Library System (NLLS). NLLS is one of seven regional library systems across Alberta that help deliver library services to all Albertans, regardless of where they live and continues to offer services to our library to this day through resource sharing, technology support and professional consultation services.
The Vermilion Public Library is an integral part of Vermilion serving the educational, cultural and informational needs of the County of Vermilion River and Town of Vermilion. We are proud to serve our patrons.